Insurance Products

Personal Accident Insurance

If you’re a self-employed plumbing and heating engineer, you’ll be fully aware that your own health is vital to the success of your business and to maintaining your livelihood.

How would you cope if an injury prevented you from being able to work, especially if it was for a length period of time?

Could you cope financially?

Would you be able to outsource your work to a trusted plumbing and heating contractor and keep your customers happy?

What is personal accident insurance?

Occupational personal accident insurance provides cover for injuries sustained during your work which stop you working, and offers weekly benefit or a lump sum payment if you are temporarily or permanently unable to work.

The policy will provide cover for:

  • Temporary disablement (an injury that prevents you from working temporarily)
  • Permanent disablement (an injury preventing you from working permanently)
  • Loss of limbs
  • Loss of sight
  • Loss of speech
  • Loss of hearing
  • Fatality

Do I really need personal accident insurance?

Accidents will happen, no matter how careful you are. As a plumbing and heating engineer you’ll likely work with sharp tools and objects, gas, flames, and soldering irons to name but a few of the hazards. You’ll also be required to lift and carry heavy equipment and materials in and out of a supplier’s warehouse and up and down the stairs in customer’s premises.

On top of the risks from your equipment, you may be required to work at height (such as fitting an outside flue for a boiler), or in cramped spaces to fit pipework, such as under floorboards or in attic spaces.

These risks you’re exposed to daily can result in burns, repetitive strain injuries (RSI), broken limbs, intoxication, cuts and bruises, and skin issues.

By carrying personal accident insurance, you’ll have peace of mind that if you do have an accident, you’ll be covered.

What type of claim will personal accident insurance cover me for?

  • You fall from a ladder while working and suffer injuries to an arm and a leg, resulting in you not being able to work for 3 months. The personal accident policy will cover you the stated weekly benefit (subject to a two week deferral period).
  • If you are unfortunate to be in a serious accident, resulting in the loss of a limb, the policy will pay you the lump sum stated in your policy.

How to arrange personal accident insurance

GSI have partnered with trades insurance specialist Markel Direct who can offer you a quotation online in minutes.

Quick Online Quote from Markel Direct